Wednesday 14 August 2013

BioShock


Review Time



BioShock


Quick note: Yes, I am aware this game is several years old. I am going to review it anyway so hush.

BioShock is a first person shooter developed by 2K Boston--now Irrational Games--which made it's debut in 2007 on Xbox 360. It's set in a the crumbling underwater city of Rapture in 1960 where madness is apparent in most of Rapture's remaining citizens. You are launch into the game after your plane crashes in the middle of the ocean, only then to swim to the nearest piece of land which happens to be a tower sort of building, where after hopping into a Bathosphere you're transported to the decaying city of Rapture.

First of all, I would like to openly admit that I am a total scaredy cat, why? Because I remember when BioShock first came out and seeing the trailers for it, and people talking about it, but why didn't I get it and play it then? Because big ass machine-like dudes with freakin' drill arms that's why! When BioShock originally came out, I couldn't even bring myself to watch horror movies. 

But, that aside, I've been wanting to play BioShock for the last couple months and I got lucky during the Steam Summer Sale, and the package with Bioshock 1 & 2 were on. Hello Pretty, you're mine. So I've been pretty much glued to my computer since I installed it. 

The one thing that stands out for me in BioShock the most is the atmosphere and how well the story is told, revealing tiny bits and pieces as it goes on. I am one of those crazy people who go nuts over the lore in video games, and I think it's done well in BioShock with the recordings of different peoples accounts. Because of how this is done, you get to see even when Rapture was in good condition, things were already crumbling society wise. You get to know peoples inner most thoughts about the Big Daddies and the Little Sisters, about Andrew Ryan and Fontaine even before you meet these characters face to face. 

Now, I could talk about graphics in this game and how I think they're great, but being totally honest, I don't know much about graphics other than oh pretty. So I'll leave that for now and move on. 

The combat system in BioShock is great, I found switching between Plasmids and weapons to be easy and quick with my mouse (which in some cases since I am more of a rush in head first kind of gamer, is a great thing, for me at least). Though, the one complaint I do have is when adding a new Plasmid or switching Plasmids out, the entire order gets messed up every time, which forced me to take more time reorganizing everything or after I while I just adapted to every time it changed positions. 

Over all, I love the whole premise of BioShock. I love how the story has it's twists and turns until it gives you one huge AHA! moment.

Now, would you kindly give it a play?

No comments:

Post a Comment