Wednesday 28 August 2013

Metro 2033

Partial Review Time!

Metro 2033


Now, the first thing you might be asking is "Partial review, what the heck is that? Why didn't she just finish the game?" and I can answer that for you right now. The answer is simple, my computer decided it hates me. So, because of that I will be reviewing Metro 2033 up to the Depot, which is where my game decides to freeze and crash and fail in so many infuriating ways.

I am hoping however, that once I finally figure out the problem, I will be able to come back and do the review on the other half of Metro 2033. So, really this is more like a part one. 

*Ahem*

Moving on.

Metro 2033 is a video game based off of a post-apocalyptic book of the same name by Dmitry Glukhovsky (can we just take a moment to appreciate how his name rolls off the tongue?). It was released in 2010 ad developed by 4A Games. Metro 2033 now has a sequel released in May of this year under the name Metro: Last Light.

In Metro 2033, you play as Artyom in the metro tunnels underneath a completely destroyed Moscow. The world is inhabited by Dark Ones, mutants, and humans. And naturally with people forced to live in such close quarters in the metro, tensions are high. As Artyom you travel through areas of the metro occupied by the Soviets and the Reichs, as well as, unallied stations, all in order to find D6. D6 is the underground missile base that Artyom, Hunter, and others set out to find in order to "reclaim" the surface from the Dark Ones.

One thing that I find that Metro does extremely well is all the atmosphere. This is a game where you want to be sitting in a dark room with good headphones on and the volume cranked. When you are in the metro stations walking through the masses of people who call the station their home, and the refugees from either side of the war, the way the sound hits you can be overwhelming. Which, is great. The voices and cries of people and the advertisements from vendors seem to bounce of the close walls all around you. You literally hear everything everywhere, it left me with a claustrophobic feeling.

Another thing that I love Metro for is all the little details on the surface or below in the metro, how everything just seems to have stopped. How the buildings crumble and the play ground equipment still creaks in the background. How there are personal affects of people left laying around and skeletons to loot.

Bullets are rare in Metro 2033, and if you aren't careful you'll end up shooting the only currency in the game at an enemy and being dirt broke when you need that armour upgrade (yes, I am speaking from experience). But that just adds the urgency to the game, an unwillingness not to shoot unless you have to, not to shoot wildly, and aim properly. I love games that force me to explore and loot in order to have extra bullets, extra bombs, add in the lore, etc.

Metro 2033, is so far one of my favourite games thus far and that is based on pretty much only the atmosphere. Seriously, if you haven't had a chance to play this game yet, play it. I know I will be finishing it once I can figure out why it's suddenly stopped running on my computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment